Monday, December 15, 2014

December Member Of The Month, Maria Steffen

On November 16, 2013, in my own mind, I was in pretty good shape. But, I wanted to try something new...

I realized, shortly into my very first CrossFit class, how my perception of fitness was significantly off-target. It was truly a humbling experience.

Through the first week, each workout was physically and mentally more challenging than the previous day’s. I was actually scared to go work out! But, I thought, “I signed up for six months, so I have to give it at least that much time to see if this was what I wanted.” And so, my journey began!   

The intimidation, anxiety and fear that I originally felt was replaced within days with feelings of inner strength, passion and the desire to become stronger. I realized that the worry I had felt was because CrossFit forced me to step outside of my comfort zone.  Once I had accepted that, CrossFit became an addiction!

I am very pleased with what I have learned in a little over a year as a member of Belle City CrossFit. But, I’m not done! Every day is a learning experience. Every day is an opportunity to push my own limits. 

I participate in CrossFit classes five days a week, minimum…most weeks, six days. I’ve learned that in order to truly make a difference in my performance, I must stick to this regimen. At first, I did it because I felt I needed to. Over time, I realized I do it because I love it.  In my opinion, if you’re going to have an addiction, this is a good one with positive results!

My success is not just because of my hard work. My success is a combined result of the dedication and motivation of my coaches and all the other CrossFit athletes.

We’re like a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment