Monday, November 10, 2014

November Member Of The Month, Kathy Hainchek

Kathy with Beatriz and Amanda

"Play Everyday! We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing...."

This year, I competed in the "Senior Olympics" held in Milwaukee and won two gold medals in Basketball and Basketball Free throw shooting. My team (60-64 age group) has advanced to the 2015 national tournament in Minneapolis as have I in the individual Free Throw event. 

Although I am growing older, it is so exciting to know that there are opportunities available for seniors to compete against other seniors in a variety of sports. This is a great incentive for me to continue to stay in shape and to pursue competing in other sports. I would like to encourage any seniors to check out this great opportunity.

I have belonged to many health clubs in the past, but I really enjoy the professional atmosphere Razor Sharp provides. More importantly, I like the fact that the fitness employees have degrees in their area of expertise and hold specific certifications in what they teach. It is very important to me to have proper training/technique from qualified instructors.

I would like to particularly thank Beatriz for providing a fun-filled Zumba Toning class and for encouraging me to add Hot Yoga to my workouts, and Amanda for working with me on my yoga technique. The combination of these classes, cardio, weights and stretching have contributed to my ability to successfully compete in sports at my age. In addition, thank you to Marianne for returning all my lost articles to me during my senior moments!


Just because we grow old doesn't mean we have to stop playing. I have had some setbacks in my life, ankle reconstruction, back surgery, several abdominal surgeries and I am an ovarian cancer survivor. So, if you have a setback, please keep in mind that it is possible to get back to your workouts and lead a healthy life.

Play on!

No comments:

Post a Comment